How to Automatically Backup Email Attachments with Openera
Have you ever deleted a bunch of email messages and emptied your trash, only to realize that you accidentally deleted an important file? If you’re not too embarrassed, you could ask the person that originally sent the file to just send it again, but what if they no longer have the file either? Then you’re in trouble.
Luckily, Openera can come to the rescue. It’s a very useful Web application that you can use to backup email attachments in your email to your preferred cloud storage account. That way, if you happen to delete a file by accident, you’ll still have access to it in your cloud account.
Here’s how it works.
Backup Email Attachments to the Cloud
- Enter your Gmail or Google Apps email address on the home page.
Enter your Gmail or Google Apps email address.
- Openera will need to connect with your email and cloud storage account. On the next page, click on the “Next” button to start the connection process.
- You’ll be directed to the Gmail/Google Apps account selection page. Select the Gmail or Google Apps account that you want to use or add a new account, if you don’t see it listed.
Select your Gmail or Google Apps account.
- Click on “Allow Access” to give Openera access to your account.
- Now you’ll be directed back to the Operera website. Users with a free account can only select one cloud account to backup their email to. So you can select one cloud account from this screen: Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Skydrive, or Evernote.
Note: If you are very specific with Dropbox, send email attachments to Dropbox automatically.
Choose the cloud account that you want to backup your email to.
- Whichever cloud account you choose, you’ll need to give it authorization to connect with your Openera account.
- Click on the “Next” button to go on to the next step.
- Now you’ll need to create a password for your account – enter it in both fields on the page. Click “Next” when you’re done.
- On the last step, you’ll see the rules for your account. Depending on which cloud service you chose to backup to, your rules may be a little different from the screenshot below. As you can see, images, documents, spreadsheets, and presentations are all filed into their own sub-folders within the Openera folder in your cloud account.
View the rules for your Openera account.
- If everything looks good to you, click on “Finish” to complete the setup process.
- Openera will now start scanning your email for important files in your Inbox. Once the scan is complete, you’ll get an email containing your personal Inbox Report. If you have a large amount of email attachments, this process could take a while.
- Now, click on the “Get Started” button to go to your Openera account and look around.
- Openera pretty much works on its own, constantly scanning your accounts and backing up your attachments to your preferred cloud service. You can see all of your stats from the Openera dashboard.
View your email stats on the Openera dashboard.
- Clicking on “Files” in the top navigation menu will take you to a page where you can see all of your attachments in detail. You can search through them, sort them, rate them, and more. As you’ll see, your attachments are also organized into categories.
View your attachments in detail and search through them..
- From the files page, you can also click on an attachment to download it to your computer.
After connecting your accounts to Openera, you’re left playing the waiting game. Once you get your Inbox Report in your email, then you’ll know that everything is complete.
No longer do you have to worry about losing important files or attachments in your email. Openera will take care of everything for you.